Pages

Sunday 14 August 2011

TX Gov. Rick Perry to run for President


So.
I'll say before I write this, because people will no doubt point it out, I am not a US citizen. I live in the UK. I don't know everything about US politics. Just thought I'd get that out of the way before I start.

Okay. So Texas's governor, Rick Perry, is running for president. Perry, a republican, said it was 'time to get America working again'. This coming from a man who has allowed the executions of 234 people during his term - a man who, when faced with the very strong possibility of having executed an innocent man (Todd Willingham), did not search for truth and justice, but instead abused his power by impeding the Texas Forensic Science Commission's investigation into the case. Is that the kind of man who should be president?
Maybe before he gets America working, he should get Texas working. Abolishing the death penalty would be a good start. As if he would. In the meantime, he could at least find out the truth about the Willingham case rather than sweeping it under the rug.

Also, if you're interested in the Todd Willingham case, you can sign a petition asking Perry to acknowledge that Willingham was wrongfully executed by clicking here and filling out the bit. I unfortunately can't sign it because I don't live in America.

No comments:

Post a Comment