Pages

Thursday 2 December 2010

Broom to stay on death row after botched execution

How many times can you try to kill a man before it becomes unconstitutional? As if once wasn't bad enough, apparently twice is fine.

Romell Broom was sentenced to death for the rape and murder of a 14 year old girl in 1984. In September of 2009 the state of Ohio attempted to execute him. 3 hours and 18 puncture wounds later, they gave up, unable to find a suitable vein. What Broom must have believed to be his final hours undoubtedly caused great psychological distress - it was reported that he even tried to help his executioners to get the needles in.

Living through one failed execution is bad enough. But on Thursday, Ohio's Supreme Court ruled that Broom is to stay on death row despite attorneys arguing that any attempt to execute Broom will violate his constitutional rights which prohibit double jeopardy.

A similar argument by Broom is pending in federal court.


I empathise a lot with Broom at the moment after a botched attempt to donate my blood in November. After lying on a table with tight things around my arms being prodded and pinched for over and hour whilst they searched for a decent vein before they eventually gave up and pulled the needle out again, I couldn't help but recall this case. I was given a biscuit and told not to bother trying again for 4-5 years. Broom was sent back to death row. Yes, I can empathise with him.

1 comment:

  1. I don't think I could willingly walk back for another attempt. They'd have to drag me.

    ReplyDelete